I would like to thank the 2019 Officers, ExCom members, and everyone who has contributed to the IEEE Long Island Section. Your ongoing support for the 2020 Officers is both needed and appreciated. As this is the last issue of the PULSE in 2019, I would like to recap some of the events of 2019. Thanks to everyone who was involved in making these events possible.
- The Long Island Section celebrated our 66th Anniversary with an Awards Banquet
- In April, the Microwave Theory & Techniques Symposium was held.
- In May, LISAT Conference was held at Farmingdale State College.
- The Long Island Section Operations Manual was issued.
- Numerous technical lectures were held by our Section Societies and the Long Island Consultants Network.
- Networking/Social events for members only were held bi-Monthly.
- Ten editions of the PULSE of Long Island were published. Please read the PULSE for news of upcoming events, and consider submitting an article for publication.
- The 3rd annual Power Electronics Symposium was held on November 7th. This year a record 475 people attended. There were two technical lecture tracks, and a record 52 companies showcased their products and services. Many thanks to James Colotti, Ron DeLuca, and all of those who were involved with the many hours spent in planning for this great event! More information about the event and a photo gallery can be found on their website, https://www.ieee.li/pes/2019/.
This is the time of the year that we renew our membership to the IEEE. You should have received a mailing from IEEE reminding you to renew your membership, although you can easily renew online at ieee.org/renew. I would also like you to consider inviting a colleague who is not a member to join the IEEE as well. A personal invitation is a very effective way to recruit new members.
I was just notified that the RCA Radio Central Historical Milestone has just been approved. The citation reads in part, “On 5 November 1921, the world’s most powerful transoceanic radio facility at the time, RCA Radio Central, was inaugurated at Rocky Point & Riverhead, New York.” Stay tuned for further information as plans commemorating this event develop. Thanks to Mort Hans and the LI Section Historical Milestone Committee for their work in making this event possible.
As I am writing, the Awards Committee is in the process of reviewing the LI Section Award nominations. Please “save the date”, March 25, 2020 for the IEEE LI Section Awards Banquet. It will again be held at the Crest Hollow Country Club.
Check the LI Section website and calendar frequently to stay informed about all of our upcoming events. We are always in need of volunteers with a positive and collaborative attitude to help us with Section activities. I would encourage all of our members to be involved in supporting the IEEE Long Island Section. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, please contact me at email@example.com.
Best wishes to you and your families for the Holiday Season.
Louis D’Onofrio, PE, SM IEEE
IEEE Long Island Section 2019 Chair